A WS Thing???
7:02 PM Edit This 6 Comments »
The end of the school year is fun and chaotic even for the best of us. Explain that to a 2 1/2 year old with WS. I don't even know where to start because mostly Aiden is loving and silly and great. Then there is the two year old temper tantrums and endless crying fits. Any change sets him off. Having to go inside from the yard, having to stay in the dance studio waiting room, not being able to go on the inflatables at field day when he wants, having to walk, being carried, trying to get him to stand still for one minute outside the house will set him off into a crying fit that lasts what seems like an eternity. He will throw himself on the floor and kick and scream. Just started screaming "No" and hitting as well. I really don't know how much is him and how much is WS. My daughter was really easy and didn't have a terrible two's period. He crys if someone rides by on a bike( he wants to ride it) and if I don't let him have one of his sisters toys.I worry how the preschool will handle his tantrums.Another thing that I have noticed is his constant wandering. At field day and a recent wedding he didn't stand still for a second. He'll walk around in circles and sometimes stop to look at something and then he is off again. He has no fear of being far away from me. At field day I let him go ( I could see him the entire time). He walked half a football field and never turned around once. When I ran up and turned him back in my direction it set him off in a crying fit. I watched as other kids his age sat quietly by their parents and played with a toy or watched the kids competing. I know the second I open the stroller straps he is off. There is no rest for me after that point because I can't get him back in with out a fight. At the wedding I walked in circles around the room for three hours following a wee man on a mission.People tried to stop and play with him, he would stop for a few seconds and then be off wandering again. I was able to strap him into a booster seat for a few bites of food and Mike was great entertaining him in the booster so I could eat. I was exhausted by the end of the night and missed out on spending more time there with Autumn.
Things to appreciate this week-
Autumn FINALLY growing some teeth . Four missing for six months
Aiden saying "read dinosaur" when he saw a dinosaur book in the store.
Mike for being so great at the wedding
Mom and Dad for the kids swingset! Thank you
Things to appreciate this week-
Autumn FINALLY growing some teeth . Four missing for six months
Aiden saying "read dinosaur" when he saw a dinosaur book in the store.
Mike for being so great at the wedding
Mom and Dad for the kids swingset! Thank you


6 comments:
Very WS terrible two's!! I have three kids.. all different, and you just described Caleb to a tee at that age! My other two NEVER did that stuff. Thankfully you know about WS. Back when Cale was that young, we had no clue why he behaved like that.
Crazy times!!
They are so darn cute.
People will argue with you and explain that all kids act this way in the "terrible twos," and some do, as all kids are different, but a lot of it seems like pure WS to me. What makes it worse is the fact that you can't really reason with them, tell them about consequences, and calm them down like other parents seem to be able to do with their kids when they are in the middle of a major malfunction. I have so been there. Erik's tantrums have improved greatly over just a year. Even the wandering seems a little better.
The wandering is still an issue but not nearly as bad as it used to be. Abi never even looks back to see if anyone is around.He will get better but I will not lie it is a long road...
I only have two children....but to me, your are describing Payton in your blog. Koen is just now 2.5 and we have experienced NOTHING compared to what payton's toddler years were like. WHEW!! Exhausting - and unfortunately she has not grown out of it yet. People tell me the terrible two's for these kiddos last a lot longer than typical children. We seem to be living that...but I'm sure it's different for each child?? Hang in there!! (the wandering is better for us!)
The good news, Avery was a wanderer as well. Now she makes sure I am in sight. I even test her when it is safe enough to. Now when she throws a tantrum about not wanting to leave someplace I either turn my back to her until she gets up, or say bye and walk into the house (but spying on her), and other times just power through the tantrums (the ones where there is no logic to why she can't drink putrid puddle water) until I can put her in time out or her room. And when she complies with me I tell her good choice! It is exhausting! My brother got married last summer, and it sounds like we had the same expereince as you did. Hang in there.
xoxo
amy
That sounds a lot like my Abbi! My older son, Charlie, never went through the terrible twos like Abbi has, and I have found that walking away or ignoring them for the most part works best. Her tantrums are fewer and further between now, and they're a lot shorter. The first one must have lasted at least 30 minutes! Unfortunately, you can't always ignore them or walk away. If only the nosy people staring at us, could know the real reason behind this behavior! I'm hoping three comes along with less tantrums. I recently spent a wedding doing the same thing as you, except my hubby had to work so there was no rest for me! I think his use of words is great; we're still hoping to have a breakthrough with this language thing!
Post a Comment