My Baby

My Baby

Preschooler with a disability

8:13 PM Edit This 1 Comment »
We went to our first of many CPSE meetings last week. I was fortunate that they were all about my age and it didn't hurt that they were all women. Aiden smiled and flirted with them all. They approved him for preschool based on his test results. They gave him an official label " preschooler with a disability". Great, since we were able to get into a good preschool and it means he can continue all his services after he turns three, but man does it stick you in the heart that your child of two and a half has a label already. It kept ringing in my ears even as they approved him for every therapy we asked for and got us into the preschool on the top of my list. Bitter sweet.
Finally sent away the application for the Philly conference. Yeah! I'm glad we are going. Can't wait to meet more families and attending the "writing an IEP "class is on the top of my agenda. I hope to gain a wealth of knowledge from the "experts" and other parents. My parents are watching the kids so it is a vacation of sorts for us. LOL Name twenty other places you'd rather go with your spouse for vacation .
Tonight we all went to a party at my cousins house. I was three hours into following Aiden around in circles as he examined every inch of their house. Having only sat down for a few seconds the entire night I was nearing the end of my patience . I tried to get him to sit in my lap or even sit down long enough to eat something. He had a total melt down screaming and hitting me. At that point there is very little you can do to reason with him. I just kind of wait it out and than distract him with something else. My relatives were trying to help by talking to him but really I just wanted them to leave us alone. I know they weren't going to help the situation.
On several occasions Aiden tried to get into the bathroom, I know it was just because I told him he couldn't play in there. He started crying and trying to squeeze past me to go in. A few people asked if he needed to use the bathroom and I kind of chuckled because he hasn't even started using the potty but I guess they assumed that at his age that is what he wanted. It was really more"I want to go in and mom won't let me so I will try as many times as I can" . Autumn had a great time with her cousins but I was glad to come home. There were countless small random toys, nails, bottle caps, etc for him to potentially put in his mouth so I had to watch him like a hawk. Not to mention the lit candles,scissors and cleaning supplies left randomly ALL OVER the house. I was redecorating her house all night. Moving everything out of reach of my guy.The other kids were all older so their parents didn't pay much attention to the "party favors" that Aiden found. Joy of Joys. I love going out but can't wait till he is a little older. Maybe old enough to sit down for a few minutes and play with a toy or another kid.
Things to be thankful for-
Summer Camp for Autumn. She is one happy little girl. It was a great choice for both of us.
Aiden - for his verion of Yo Gabba Gabba song -Time to Sleep , for rocking Autumn singing "Ahh Ahh Baby" So cute!
Mike- For swimming with the kids today.Hearing the kids squeal with joy
Mom and Dad -For always helping out .Thanks for watching the kids next weekend so we can have a break.
A warm summer day with two kids splashing in the backyard pool. Priceless

1 comments:

Nancy said...

I came home crying yesterday from an outing to the park with Erik. They had a children's festival, and I chased him around for two hours while he threw fits and refused to follow instructions. People were interested in his strange behavior and made some comments to me. I had to carry him part way to the car, which was quite a distance, and he is nearly 40 lbs. It wasn't until a day later that I can really look back and see the good stuff that happened. I still can't determine if it was worth it or not, but maybe it was. It's just a lot of freakin' work. I so relate!